Just a quick pricing comparison2degrees
- New sim card: $5
- Calls/texts to any network: 44c/9c
- Top up reward: 22c/2c calls and texts to 2degrees and landlines for a whole month
- Disadvantage: apparently Vodafone and 2degrees aren't exactly on friendly terms and due to some missing agreements, 2degrees customers can't send or receive texts to/from some overseas Vodafones (e.g. Czech Republic, France, Germany).
- New sim card: $30
- Calls/texts to any network: 90c/20c
- Top up reward: you get 100 free minutes to VF mobiles and landlines. Catch: only usable during the four weekends following the purchase. Catch n.2: it doesn't say "free call" when you dial a number, and considering how many people switch networks but keep their old number, calling a 021 is no guarantee that you're making a free call. Trust me, my wallet found out the hard way.
- Top up reward n.2: 10% extra (not sure if it only applies to specific payment methods, i.e. credit cards, or if it doesn't matter)
- Cheap overseas calls: apparently, you can call overseas landlines for $2/h. However, this information is not exactly widely advertised and it only got to me by word of mouth, when I'd already been living in NZ for half a year. By then my VF credit had ran out again and I was not going to buy any more.
More details and current prices are on the websites: